Oftentimes, recipes on the back of boxes / packages can be rather mediocre, having been dumbed down to be accessible to the general public. This one, however, despite its simplicity, is a home run. It’s quick and easy, and most people seem to love the taste, even if they are not particular fans of oatmeal cookies, craisins, or white chocolate.
Adapted from Ocean Spray® Craisins® package:
- ⅔ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 oz. dried cranberries (i.e. Ocean Spray® Craisins®) – Note: I would use 1 to 1 ½ cups.
- ⅔ cup white chocolate chunks or chips – Note: I would use 1 to 1 ½ cups.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- Drizzle with melted white chocolate for extra flair and flavor.
Most of the sweetness and flavor for this cookie comes from the dried cranberries and white chocolate, so be liberal with those ingredients. In addition, note that these cookies expand very little in the oven. I would flatten them slightly before baking. No need to worry about the cookies running into each other as they bake.