My original plan to gift cupcake assortments for the holidays didn’t quite pan out. Milo’s Bonbons went on a brief hiatus while we relocated, and baking supplies were packed away. But, we’re back for 2012!
These mini champagne cupcakes are made with Prosecco, with half of the cupcakes topped with champagne Swiss meringue buttercream, and the other half topped with Chambord Swiss meringue buttercream.
Makes 20 cupcakes (or 50 minis)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or 3 cups + 1 Tbsp. cake flour for a finer texture)
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup champagne (or in this case, Prosecco)
- 6 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, and then blend into creamed mixture alternately with champagne.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into batter to lighten the batter, then fold in remaining egg whites.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (or 10-12 for minis), or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.